Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Help me, HomeGoods!

HomeGoods_May11_Review_009






I have been asking for a larger bed for sixteen years. You know the drill, your family grows, you grow, your dog decides the foot of your bed is much more comfortable than his crate, you add more pillows, a puffier duvet, and pretty soon you end  with more "stuff" than mattress and sleeping area. 

Part of my hesitation one buying another bed was the memories attached to this one. This iron bed from Berkeley, CA has survived many moves with us. I raised my children in this bed. Nursing them as babies, cuddling with them when they were frightened or sick, even propping myself up to eat their specially served breakfast in bed on Mother's Day. It's more than a bed, it's a piece of this family.



And as a piece of the family, it has gone through its own changes. Dressed in everything from a cozy, cottage look with quilts and hand-sewn pillows to a city look, draped in glamourous silk, the gold and creams of custom bedding. Once it was accented by organic, Asian inspired linens with a bamboo print coverlet and always, the room decor was adapted to match.
So, yes. I like change. My hesitation to upgrade the bed wasn't about that, as much as it might have been about space. We spoke about moving to a larger house five years ago. Given the current state of the economy, we can smugly say, boy, were we smart to NOT do that.
Lately we've been talking about downsizing the exterior of the home, from house to condo or town home, from distant suburbs to something closer to the places we like to go. And, of course, there is always talk of the place at the beach. Something I shop for weekly and continue to plant the seeds.

But if I have to be here in a house I adore, in a neighborhood filled with friends, in the same school district while my kids finish school, I'm insisting on a bigger bed, and the beginning of a cleaner, contemporary, clutter free home. It's going to be my version of the mom cave.

I bought the mattress and the bed from two separate online sources and scored deals on both. I placed the orders at the same time figuring the bed would come well in advance of the mattress- which had a three week shipping date.
The mattress has been here for a week, and there is no sign of the bed.
One of the distinct disadvantages to online shopping.

In the meantime, I need to decide on decor. The bed is definitely modern.
This is the headboard


Oddly, it no longer appears on the West Elm website... I wonder if this has anything to do with my shipping problem...The base is a chunky wood platform,
and the since the mattress is 14" high, we won't be using a box spring.

I will need new linens, pillows, curtains, lamps, tables or a night stand. While that sounds like quite a list, I'm not worried.
I plan to shop for everything in one place- at my favorite store: HomeGoods.


Because there are Internet Fairies... I lucked into a fantastic opportunity to shop at a special event at my local HomeGoods store on May 21st.
 It happens to be the same weekend as the BlogHer Food Conference here in Atlanta. So, DOUBLE goodness for me!

You can join in the revelry by entering the sweepstakes for a $25 HomeGoods gift card on this page:
BlogHer Prizes and Promotions. Read the rules.

 Use the store locator  to find a store near you. There are new locations opening all around the country, and with over 10,000 new items in stock weekly at HomeGoods, you are sure to find exactly what you need for your own mom cave.

Stay tuned for the shopping trip and more decorating ideas.
Connect with HomeGoods' Facebook and check out their blog.


2 comments:

bridgetbordeaux said...

I can't wait to shop at Home Goods with you. My boring beige family room is in need of some color. Either lampshades or pillows or a funky basket would help my room a lot. It will be a fun shopping trip!

Nik-Nak said...

DUDE! I LOVE that bedspread! I adore all things black and white.